It’s amusing how feeble and threatened liberals have become during the presidency of Donald Trump after their “sure thing” establishment candidate Hillary Clinton was toppled, despite the fact that virtually every polling service said that she would win.
Liberals, who are largely concentrated in urban areas, have now taken to lashing out at the people in less populated areas that powered President Trump’s grassroots victory. MSNBC host Joy Reid went so far as to call rural conservatives a threat to democracy, tweeting, “This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority — the people @JYSexton just wrote a long thread about — have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority.”
She was referring to a study by Baruch College’s David Birdsell, who claimed that states with small populations would have far too much power in the Senate by 2040. The Wall Street Journal about his study stated, “By 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states. They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them.”
A conservative named Brian Hare shot back at Joy for her dumb statement, “a threat? huh? 70% would have house & 30% the senate – this is by design (see federalist papers) to prevent a majority taking total power. the minority can be out of power but not w/o a voice – that is our republican system working. am I missing something.”
Totally missing his point, the AM Joy talking head wrote back, “Yes you are. Your first problem is one of reading comprehension. The stat is that the 30 percent would have 70 Senators, meaning lopsided minority rule. This is inherently undemocratic and incentivizes that minority to undermine democratic noms to preserve their power.”
This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority — the people @JYSexton just wrote a long thread about — have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority. https://t.co/fzBHaZ9kzR
— Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) November 26, 2017
Do you think it’s crazy that liberals are now calling rural conservatives “a core threat to democracy”?